Great Article: Synchronicity Review and Trailer Preview

http://bloody-disgusting.com/reviews/3375928/review-synchronicity/

Here is an interesting trailer for Synchronicity, a new sci-fi movie with Film Noir influences. The review mentions Noir several times. What's interesting here is the reviewer's feeling that Noir films haven't done well over the last ten years since the film Sin City.

I'm not going to argue that point, admittedly, there haven't been many Noir films released in the last ten years, and also I can't think of many that have been huge commercial hits. It is a trap in a way, because something isn't a 300 million dollar release means that people dislike the genre. Mainstream audiences don't go to see them, and also I feel theaters don't want to show Noir film outside of the art house circuits. We are still trapped in the VFX and 3D glasses spectacle era of films, and mass market fare has taken over the matinee.

Let's take a look at the trailer:


Wow, technically impressive, and those shots are very Noir-esque. I love the music, and this feels very Blade Runner like as well. The look is just beautiful too, the muted blues and greys, and the framing of the trailer's shots is wonderful and evocative.

Is there a market for these films? I know I love them, and I love the artistry this team has put into this film. I can't speak to the bigger market, in a way I suppose films like these will always be niche and artistic labors of love. I have this fear that someday a Noir film will hit it big and then everybody will be doing it, and we will be hurled back in time with everyone doing tribute flicks, bad Sam Spade impressions, 3d glasses, and cartoon animals. Despite the potential for imitation, I feel this film deserves recognition and success because of the care and love put into their work.

You have to be able to say "this is what I like" and ignore the chaff. It is a hard skill to master, since marketers nowadays can take anything and turn it into anything else, if Noir is hot, of course every film coming out will be marketed as a Noir classic. You are stuck watching everything and sorting out details. Or by going back to the classics, but I feel there is a need for fresh expressions and room for creators to share what we love.

This, however, feels like a new classic for me. As a fan of the genre, seeing something new from other fans is always a thrill, and you can see parts of other films and inspirations in this work.

We, as fans and creators, need to be able to create that which inspires us. We need to be able to share and comment. With Noir, there is still a love here by many, and I feel we are in a time where new works can thrive and build an audience. Let's bring on the new classics. Let's create art. Let's write books. Let's enjoy new Noir films and begin to build anew.

Let's begin the era of the new classics.

The film comes out of VOD  and limited runs in theaters on January 22, so this is one I am going to be looking for this week.

Comments